Captain Corelli's Mandolin - Louis de Bernières In the middle of last summer, I got a wild desire to read Captain Corelli's Mandolin. I searched and searched and searched for a copy -- in every bookstore I passed and the local library. I did not want to satisfy the desire to read the book with a copy obtained through the impersonal and anonymous internet. I wanted to obtain a copy of the book through an experience, to go along with the experience of reading the book. By the time I finally found a copy, the desire to read it had diminished and I was no longer in the mood. I saved the book for my trip to the US, taking only it and the book I was reading at the time with me.

Two months later, I finished Captain Corelli's Mandolin. It was worth the wait, and worth waiting for the right time and the right mood to read it. I am not sure how much of the story is historically accurate and how much is embellished for the tale. But it was a great read, full of delightful and engaging characters, meandering lives and a love-story for the ages.

It's not a book to be undertaken lightly, but if you have the time to devote to it, you will be rewarded.