The School of Essential Ingredients - Erica Bauermeister I picked this book up at Borders on their "Buy 1, get 2nd 50% off" table. I had already picked three books from the table and I decided, for half price it was worth a go. Normally I steer well away from books that are printed with "New York Times Bestseller," "Oprah's Book Club," or "National Best Seller" above the title on the front cover. But the blurb on the back of this book made it sound interesting -- I am a cook at heart, mixing raw ingredients and turning out something luscious and fantastic, the essential ingredients appealed to my sense and style of cooking, if not reading.

I was not disappointed. When the both the book and I had aged sufficiently to appreciated each other, I knew it was time to read the book, despite "National Bestseller" splashed across the cover. It was a fantastic book, a delightful journey through a meal and through people's lives. Each character brought an essential part to the story, just as each ingredient brought an essential part to the meal.

When I bought the book, I had planned to eventually read it, and drop it on the pile of books to be donated to the Symphony Book Fair. Reading the book has mooted that plan. This book is now an essential ingredient in my library.